viernes, el 12 de agosto de 2011

Buenos tardes again, mis amigos!!

5pm and I must say, I accomplish so much more when I drag my butt out of bed early…temprano.

The day was all about taxis!! Día de los Taxis to be correct, and they did not disappoint.

I was not sure what time they would be meeting at the iglesia, and it turns out 8am was probably when they were all there for the blessing. When I got there at 9am, there were still lots of peeps and taxis around.

The iglesia.



There were lots of decorated taxis and it looks like they brought a lot of familia.






All of a sudden the drivers all got into their taxis and drove off with horns blaring. I thought I was all done with this celebration, but about an hour later as I was leaving the condo for el gimnasio, I heard the horns again.

This time they were all driving up Carrizal, throwing dulces (candy) out the window!!

Mis tres amigos from Condo Pacifico…watching the taxis and darting onto the calle to pick up candy!! Ja ja ja


Hector (silent H), Silverio (Silberio) y Marceano.

Here is the procession heading up Carrizal.








As you can see, some of these taxis had MANY peeps n them.

As I headed to el gimnasio, I saw these taxis from sitio Santa Cruz.


It looks like one driver was giving the other driver una bolsa de dulce so he had some dulce to throw at peeps!!

If there is a peso to be made, someone will figure it out, and Día de los Taxis is no different.


Juego de moños for $60 pesos. Translates to “game of bows” vs juego de monos…monkey games!! Ja ja ja

To wrap up Día de los Taxis, I was talking with Fermin at el gimnasio. He told me to be careful esta noche (tonite), because there might be a few taxis drivers who will have celebrated too hard. Nice!!!

I said hoy esta Día de los Taxis y esta noche es Noche de los Tamarindos and he laughed. He said no…the tamarindos will be out celebrating with the taxi drivers!! Ja ja ja

He then went on to explain that at the start of his year, he makes sure he has made all his donativos (donations) and he is left alone by the tamarindos and “others”. Bienvenida de Mexico!!

The benefits of getting up early? It is cooler outside (not much…but still cooler) and you get to see the deliveries of all the fresh frutas y verduras, fruits and veggies.



I am told a lot of these trucks come from the Oaxaca valley and we see them usually 3 times a week.

Later in the day we went for our verdura run and bought a unique items as well as one that is not unique, but not often sold here.

Do you know what this is?


It cost only $12 pesos.

And what is this one…the unique one?


It cost $15 pesos and when we took it to the boys at the jewelry tienda, no one knew what it was. At that time WE didn’t know what it was!! Ja ja ja Verdadero (true), we asked 10 peeps and Beto was the closest. Send me an email with your guess. markvan@rocketmail.com

We walked by the Fruver on our way home and went back in and asked the hombre to write down what the fruta is called. Tune into mañanas blog for the answer.

Some items are super cheap and then we find a box of Washington state cherries for $120 pesos/kilo…ugh.

Talk about cheap…I must remember what people’s expectations are in regards to getting paid for work. I asked Hector if he could patch a few holes in our concrete wall and he came up after his work day was completed, and he filled them in. These are left overs from our Telmex amigos…ja ja ja.

Anyway, he will come back mañana and paint over them, so I gave him $50 pesos and told him I would give him another $50 despues de pintura…after the painting. He had a blank look on his face so I asked if that was ok…esta bien? and he spit out “mucho”. I guess I need to stop paying people a days wages for 15 minutes worth of work? But $100 pesos is still only $8.50 Cdn.

Muy diferente here. Hmmmm.

Back to our day.

Bexico has had a full office day and the dos hombres from NJ want to hire her for their project. They loved her one drawing and want her to complete another 19. The problem? She thinks they do not have the budget for what she charges. Oh well, we agree that she cannot do charity work just because someone hopes to get a project completed on the cheap. You get what you pay for. UPDATE…she actually has a Skype with them tonite at 9pm…stay tuned.

Me? Fotos galore…and either the pila or battery charger is not up to snuff. After 50 fotos this morning, the battery was dead. SUPER idea from Bexico…charge the battery antes el gimnasio and take the charger with me to el gimnasio and recharge the pila there. Hello? Brilliant.


Gym was great…not much dialogue with the senorita that has taken over for Rosa, but at least we say hola and hasta mañana!!

I did a stroll through town, hit up a few neighborhoods I normally don’t see as they are out of the way. Nice to get around.

Hola to the boys and then home for alberca time…sin el sol. No sun today. Overcast all day, but we had a good run of clima so I am not complaining.

Here is a website I use to track tropical storms.

Maybe this “low potential disturbance” is bringing the clouds? We are 45 minutes east of Puerto Angel.

Despues de alberca time was the verdura run, followed by Hectors patch job, and you are all caught up.

Tiempo para las ensaladas and then I will get to the rest of the fotos.

Las flores frescas


I am not sure what these hombres are selling.


Aquí es el carro de Carlo.


Carlos used to run the shrimp stop across the street, and it recently closed. I asked him if he had a new spot and he laughed and said he was on vacation, but will open a new tienda in a few months once the tourists return.

Business meeting.


A different type of business meeting.


These are actually bus drivers who are washing their autobuses de tourismo before taking them out.

Es hora de regresar al al escuela.



It is time to return to school and the notebooks are on sale.

And to end the fotos for the day….the gato series.





Hey…guess what arrived in our buzon de correo? Our electric bill was in our mail box today. And good news…$400 pesos cheaper then the last one!! $1617 pesos todo…$136 Cdn for dos meses, 2 months.

I paid it today and figured out how I can make an advance payment so we will be caught up with G10 before we leave for Canada.

830pm…we have just finished la cena. It was a delicious pasta y salsa de carne…meat sauce.

Our sábado? Nothing extra on tap…looking forward to Nascar y hamburguesa domingo!!

Buen fin de semana!!

Marco y Bexico

No comments:

Post a Comment